|An implausibility of gnus.|
Most of the evocative collective nouns seem to center on birds:
- An ostentation or pulchritude of peacocks,
- An unkindness of ravens,
- A wake of buzzards,
- A mustering of storks (no doubt, come to reclaim the babies),
- A murder of crows,
- An enchantment of nightingales,
- A parliament of owls, and
- A committee of vultures.
But there are some other winners:
- A bloat of hippopotami,
- A stud of mares,
- An intrigue of kittens,
- A shrewdness of apes, and
- (my personal favorite) An implausibility of gnus.
But I think they forgot some of the more recent collectives to enter the modern lexicon:
- A niggling of bedbugs (and responsibilities),
- A grandiloquence of hipsters, and
- A privation of recent college graduates.